Monday, July 26, 2010

"The Airforce WOD"

20 Thrusters (Men 95 lbs, Women 65 lbs)
20 Sumo Deadlift High Pull (Men 95 lbs, Women 65 lbs)
20 Push Jerks (Men 95 lbs, Women 65 lbs)
20 Overhead Squats (Men 95 lbs, Women 65 lbs)
20 Front Squats (Men 95 lbs, Women 65 lbs)

With 4 Burpees on the minute every minute.

My Time: 14:55 Rx (PR by 3:52)
Compare to Feb 25, 2010

OK...wow! So I got in my car this morning and looked at my phone as I got to the main road. There was a text from B saying this is the one WOD she will never do again and she'd see me tomorrow. I knew instantly what the WOD was. Stricken with fear and dread, I kept driving. I kept thinking of reasons to turn around and go home: I left my gloves, I left my towel, I hate burpees, this WOD will kill me. (Dramatic much?) My stomach knotted up and I wanted to go back home, but I knew I would be kicking myself later if I did. So, I decided to just suck it up and go do the workout. It didn't kill me last time, it wont' kill me this time. (Note: Just for the record, it almost killed me last time!)

We worked on back squats for our strength component today, and I was able to focus on that (I love back squats!) and keep my mind off the impending WOD. I got pretty nervous when it was time to start, though. Not a big fan of the huge adrenaline rush I get sometimes. Anyway, I was able to just jump right into the workout and give it my all. And, surprisingly, I managed to:

(1) not die,
(2) not cry (though I was tempted)
(3) finish, and
(4) beat my previous time.

So, I'll call this one a success. And, I'm not quite so afraid of this one anymore. And I set a new PR.

Credit where credit is due, the coaching I receive at CFJ has made a world of difference in my strength, both mentally and physically. Granted, I am still light years away from being as fast or strong as most people at this gym, but I have improved so much in the last 7 1/2 months, and it never would have happened if it weren't for Breck. Best coach ever!!!

Back Squats
5 @ 85
3 @ 115
2 @ 135
5 @ 155
5 @ 160
ran out of time and didn't do last set of 5 (wanted to go for 170)...next time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment