Wednesday, February 8, 2012

“THE AIRFORCE WOD”

For time:
20 Thrusters
20 Sumo deadlift high pulls
20 Push jerks
20 Overhead squats
20 Front squats

Men will use a 95lb barbell. Women will use 65lbs. Each athlete must do four burpees at the beginning of every minute before moving on to the barbell work. The athlete is allowed to move to the next barbell skill once an he/she has completed all 20 reps. If the minute clock beeps during a repetition the athlete will complete their rep and then start their four burpees. There is a 20min cap.

Compare to February 25, 2011.

My time: 11:55 - ugh!

How do I even begin to express my disappointment at my utter failure this morning. I let this workout get in my head and it really screwed me up. I started with the prescribed weight, and struggled through the thrusters. The burpees took me forever, and each time I returned to the bar I was so winded. Of course anyone who has ever done this WOD knows that feeling and they also know you just have to push through it..

By the time I got to SDHP the bar might as well have been 200 lbs. I got in 7 reps and just had a complete mental breakdown. That's all it was, because I AM physically capable of doing this entire workout as prescribed, but no...I let the words "I can't" get in my head and I lost it. So, I asked Justin to pull my weights as I did four more burpees.

I went through the rest of the WOD with 35 lbs. Seriously, even at that weight it was still tough, but by the OHS I was beating myself up for dropping weight - I blew it by scaling down. Total mental meltdown is the only explanation...not much else can be said. That's all it was: Mental weakness.

I spent a while this morning beating myself up over it and now it's time to move on. Tomorrow is another day, another WOD and I'll do better.

3 comments:

  1. New follower. Thats pretty intense for an airforce workout! Seems like you did pretty good, even if you're being hard on yourself. I'd have expected a 'chair-force' workout to be something along the lines of "climb 1 set of stairs to your 4 star hotel room, 1 squat into lazy boy, 1 right hand recliner pull for time". Just joking, though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! Thanks for the comment. Where do you CrossFit?

      Delete
  2. I'm in Ontario, Canada at Crossfit Kawartha, thanks for the welcome!

    ReplyDelete