Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Fun With Skills

 This morning's warm up was super fun.  We don't often have the opportunity to work some of these skills, and I thought it was a good change of pace.  We still got a nice warm-up and had time for strength, and the regular WOD.

This was the warm up:

20 min AMRAP

:30 pull-up hold (chin above bar)
:30 squat hold (toes as close to wall as possible)
:30 handstand hold
:30 L-sit hold

My results: Roughly 3 rounds

My first set of pull-up holds kind of set the tone for how that little element was going to go.  I think I held the first time for 10 seconds; then 5, then 5, and so on, with plenty of rest between.

Handstand holds for 30 seconds are fairly easy, so no trouble there.

The squat holds - holy moly!  I fell on my butt the first try, then moved out pretty far from the wall and finished.  Second round I just did a squat hold in the open floor area.  Third round, I actually got up to the wall, about 2 inches and held the full 30 seconds.  Torture!

L-sits are something I love because the first time I ever tried, I failed miserably and thought I would "never" do them.  Well, once I changed my mind about that, I was determined to get good at them.  I wouldn't really say I'm "good" at them but I can hold for over 20 seconds.  My longest one this morning was 21 seconds, then mostly they were around 10-15.

Then our strength component was  Power Clean and  Front Squat:

Warm up sets:  5-3-2-2 @ 55-65-70-75
Work sets:  1 ea @ 85-100-125

(I so should have gone for 130 - it would've been a PR...ah, maybe next time.)

And then, the WOD:

As many rounds as possible in 8 minutes of:
10 Pull-ups
10 Bar dips

My total = 4 rounds

Dips are feeling better, though still not full range.  I'm getting there, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment