Thursday, April 4, 2013

13.5, and 13.5 re-do

Yes.  I did this one twice.

Twice in one day.  And for what?

One extra rep!

There's a lesson here, folks.  My level of fitness is much greater in my mind than it is in physical reality.  My first attempt at both 13.4 and 13.5 left me thinking "I know I am faster/stronger/(insert other extremely delusional adjective here) than this."  And I would not rest until I made a second attempt.  Sadly, the results of the second attempts weren't all that much better.  In my mind, I was going to get another 15-20 reps.  But reality strikes again!

So, the lesson:  unless I'm just totally sandbagging and I know it, re-doing a workout is rarely, if ever, going to yield significantly greater results.

But, I did get in two workouts in a day, so that's something, right?

Right...

CrossFit Games Open 13.5 (aka F*cked-Up-Fran)

Complete as many rounds and reps as possible in 4 minutes of:

65# pound Thruster, 15 reps
15 Chest to bar Pull-ups
If 90 reps (3 rounds) are completed in under 4 minutes, time extends to 8 minutes.
If 180 reps (6 rounds) are completed in under 8 minutes, time extends to 12 minutes.
If 270 reps (9 rounds) are completed in under 12 minutes, time extends to 16 minutes.
Etc.

Attempt 1 - 5 am:  28 reps
Attempt 2 - 12pm:  29 reps

Chest to bar didn't give me this much trouble last year.  I'm a good 5 lbs heavier than last year.  Let's call it muscle.  Okay, we all know that's bullshit, right?  It's fat.  So, anyway, pounds are pounds and hauling extra weight up to the bar never makes it easier.

I was getting the height but not touching the bar on most of the no-reps.  That's a matter of technique and I just need to work on it.  The main thing is, I need to work chest-to-bar all year, and not just get in a panic the day they announce them for The Open and try to be good at something I have not practiced at all.

Anyway, I'm glad The Open is over.  I'm glad I participated.  My hope is that I came out somewhere in the top 25% of my age group.  We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment