Thursday, August 19, 2010

Nate-ish

“Nate”

Complete as many rounds in twenty minutes as you can of:
2 Muscle-ups
4 Handstand Push-ups
8 Kettlebell swings (Men 70 lbs, Women 45 lbs)

Modified beyond recognition: 7 rounds + 6 plu

So what does that mean exactly? Well, here is the WOD I did:

Sub for MU: 6 pull ups + 6 ring dips of about 2" depth at best
Sub for HSPU: Head to 2 abmats with about a 50% success rate of actually touching my head to the mat
Sub on KBS: dropped to 35 lbs after one round at 45 lbs, and excruciating back pain (which by the way is becoming very annoying)


This morning I took a few minutes to mentally regroup, as I could feel myself sliding down the slippery slope into that trap I was in a few months ago, with the negative self-talk ("I'm old", "I'm wasting my time"). You know what? I'm not old! And I'm certainly not wasting my time!!

I spent some time reading down the right side of my blog this morning and look at my PR's to remind myself of how much I have accomplished in the last two and a half years. I've gone from not ever having picked up a barbell to 232 lb deadlifts and 130 lb split jerks, and running a 10k without ever "training" for it, and so many other things I never could have imagined that it still just blows my mind!

Even though I've got some physical issues going on right now, I'm not going to let a few aches and pains get me down! I am strong, and healthy and committed to staying that way. I'm not a 'firebreather' or a 'badass', but I'm damn sure not a quitter! I'm just having a little set-back, and I don't care what WOD is posted tomorrow, I will show up at 5 am and do what I can. My injuries will heal and I will continue learning new skills, setting new PR's and giving it all I've got, even if some days it's not exactly what's prescribed.

(I think, in hindsight, this post needs some dramatic background music for effect. Or maybe a picture of me at the top of Mt. Everest, photoshopped, of course. It is a bit dramatic, but it really was intended as more of a personal pep-talk. Ok...move along...nothing to see here.)

2 comments:

  1. Nate is a humbling experience but I'm glad you managed to remember all of your accomplishments. Also, every little increment towards full ROM ring dips and HSPUs (I've never done either at full ROM) is progress! Yeay! As for your age. Girl, don't even get me started. You'll be working out when you're 85 and be fitter than 99% of of all women that age (and many 30-40 years younger)! Yeay you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great personal pep-talk! If we all didn't have days in the box like you had, we wouldn't be human. That is one killer WOD and even with MODs you did more work than most people did all day! Don't ever forget that!

    With the twinging back pain--You might just want to give a rest for a 2-3 days and just do some stretching or light jogging/rowing. Trust me--you don't want that to become a nagging injury. Only rest will heal it. And you won't fall behind--you'll only come out the other end stronger. :)

    ReplyDelete