Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Tough Morning!

This was a tough one! Wow!!

Every minute on the minute for 20 minutes:

5 Dumbbell deadlifts
5 Dumbbell hang power cleans
5 Dumbbell thrusters

Post dumbbell weight used, total minutes completed and total rounds completed thereafter.
The rx’d dumbbell weight is 45% bodyweight for men and 30% bodyweight for women (that is both dumbbells combined).

Total Minutes Completed: 20 rounds, Rx


My body weight is 146
30% of that is 43.80, which does not divide evenly into two dumbbells...it comes out to 21.9 lbs, which rounds down to 20 lbs. So, what did I do? I scaled UP. Yes, UP - to 25 lbs each hand.

Well, what was I thinking??

I made it through 5 rounds at that weight and then dropped to 20's. I believe legally it would still be considered as Rx'd, to use the 20's so I'm going with "as Rx'd" on my score. My 3rd grade math teacher would give me an A for my rounding skills. *ha ha ha*

**************

Strength Component today was Shoudler Press
I'm just not making a whole lot of progress on this one, and don't really know what to do about it.

5 @ 35
3 @ 45
2 @ 55
5 @ 65
5 @ 70
5 @ 75

Those 3 sets of 5 should have all been at 75, but I think if I can start just getting ONE set of a higher number, then eventually I can get two sets, and then 3. So, next time I'm going to try going 70, 75, 80 on the sets of 5 and see if this helps me progress to a higher weight.

Flawed thinking/strategy? Anyone want to offer an opinion?

2 comments:

  1. Like you, I have been stuck on the shoulder press for some time. I make it up to about 110 x 5 x 5 and then I fall back down. I have tried many things, none of which have worked in the long run. But there were some things that took me a little higher. I honestly think that in your case, 5 lb increments is way too much. If there is one thing that I have been able to do it is to increase the weight much more slowly. Put one pound extra on the bar. Just get it to 76 lbs. Then to 77, and then 78, &c. 5 lb is too big of a jump.

    ReplyDelete