Monday, August 16, 2010

Aches & Pains

For time:

400 Meter run
50 Double unders
400 Meter run
50 Push-ups
400 Meter run
50 Pull-ups
400 Meter run

My time: 23:40
subbed abmat situps for double unders

Got up this morning feeling fine. Our warm up was 3 minutes of single unders and 2 minutes of double unders. Started out ok, and about 200 singles into the warm up my lower back started hurting a bit, but nothing I couldn't handle by tightening my core a bit more.

The strenght component today was back squats. 5-3-2-5-5-5. I love back squats. Recently I've had some issues with back pain, and the little bit of pain during double unders had me concerned. So, I started out light at 105. I did 7 or 8 reps, really as a warm up and felt pretty good. But, just like last week when I racked the weight, there was that pain again - lower back, down to the glutes and into my leg. So, I stretched a bit while Samantha did a few reps. Then I added 30 lbs and went for three reps. The weight felt fine when I was under it. I could do a full range of motion squat, no problem. But this time when I racked the weight, the pain brought tears to my eyes. So, in the interest of not totally screwing something up, I gave up doing any more back squats today.

I also decided not to do double-unders in the WOD and subbed ab mat sit ups. The ab mat actually makes my back feel better.

During the first 400m run, I suppose I was favoring my left side, being a little timid about my back. So, I managed to get a huge muscle cramp in my right calf, which continued to act up through the entire WOD, slowing my already abysmally slow running to a crawl. Seriously another pain? That's all I needed. Ah, Monday. :)

I've decided these two things would probably be of great benefit to my back:

1. I need to stretch more, both before and after WOD's.
2. I need a new mattress. The one I have now has been causing back and hip problems for both Allan and me, so it's time to do something about it. (Can't have it messin' with my back squats and deadlifts!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment