Thursday, June 23, 2011

“2-fer-1s”

When I was a kid (back when you could roam around for miles and not worry about murder and rape and all the bad stuff going on today) my sisters and I would hang out with our friends all day going wherever we wanted to go, doing whatever we wanted to do. A lot of times we would take a walk to Dixie's, the local "five & dime" (to those of you who have never experienced these old family run stores, you missed out!). Dixie's had everything from hardware, to dishes to greeting cards and then some.

But we weren't there for any of that stuff....we were in it just for the candy.

Mostly we went for what we called "2-fer's", that is two pieces of candy for a penny! The more candy you could get in your little brown paper sack, the better. Spend a quarter and you've got 50 pieces of yummy, sugary, chocolatey goodness to last you a day or two, depending on your sugar addiction and self control.

So when I saw "2-fer-1's" posted along with the word Wallball, I was more than a little afraid. As we know, in CrossFit, rarely is anything a freebie, or any easier than normal. And of course these 2-fer-1's were incredibly challenging, especially to the uncoordinated, such as myself.

I repeatedly told myself throughout the WOD "do one more and you can just go to regular wallball shots...just do one more". And that false promise to myself somehow managed to get me through the entire workout doing 2-fer-1's.

What IS a 2-fer-1 wallball, you ask? Well, if you're a CFJ member and you went to class today, you know. For the rest of you, it is a wallball shot with an extra squat thrown in BEFORE the ball bounces back off the wall into your hands. Takes some coordination, for sure. Oh, and they're not nearly as sweet as 2-fer-1 candy!

WOD
3 rounds for time of:

50 Double-unders
25 Wallball , (Men 20 lb ball, Women 14 lb ball)

My time: 19:58 Rx-ish
(I had a couple of "regular" wallball shots by accident, just because my second squat wasn't deep enough...but the effort was definitely there!!)

warm up:
1 min double unders: 25
2 min push ups : 31
2 min sit ups: 61
Max set pull ups: 9
Dips – just practiced

Wendler Bench Press (deloading)
5 ea @ 35-45-55

No comments:

Post a Comment