Tuesday, March 15, 2011

This is the day!

This is the day we find out what WOD 1 is for the CrossFit Open! I'm so excited to know what it is. Hope it's nothing horrible that I'm unable to do. We shall see...

This morning's WOD:

21-15-9 rep rounds for time of:

Toes to bar
Box jumps (Men 24″ box, Women 20″ box)
Burpees

My time: 12:46 Rx

4:30 am, one eye open, staring at my iphone to see what the WOD is today. None of it is my favorite stuff, but I made myself crawl out of bed and go anyway. Turns out it wasn't horrible as I imagined it would be from the comfort of my bed. My box jumps felt pretty good, and I actually jumped "down" on a lot of them rather than stepping. I need to speed it up though. I'm gaining a comfort level with them. Burpees, well they are what they are - slow. I'm trying to be faster and push through that burning in my quads though. All in all, not a bad morning.

The warm up included 5 one-minute rounds of each of the following:

double unders - aim for min of 25 or your max...whichever you can
behind the head press - 5 reps
handstand push ups - aim for 3 to 5 good ones
muscle ups or progressions - aim for 3 to 5

How did I do? Well, double unders...I had one max set of 8. I had several good sets of 5, but i just did as many as I could in the 5 minutes. Behind the head press, I used 45 lbs and did 5 reps each min. These hurt so much, but I'm getting better at them. HSPU - seems like going with a more hollow-body position and correct "stance" I get less depth than I used to. It's like learning it all over again, but I still haven't had one full "real" HSPU yet. Muscle up progressions, I didn't get 3 per minute, but I did have a few that felt pretty good.

All in all a good morning.

Now...I'm dying to know what the first CF Open WOD will be!! Tick-tock!

2 comments:

  1. Seriously why did they have to made the release time so late in the day! Noon would've made it so much more fun, because we could've discussed it all afternoon. :-D

    I really really hope my coach is right in his thoughts on the Open workouts -- he thinks they will make them as inclusive as possible, without making them too easy. He doesn't think they'll throw in curve balls like HSPU or MUs that will cause lots of people to DNF, because then they won't make as much money on athlete registration next year.

    I am dying of anticipation! And annoyed because I can't get any of the other women at our gym to freaking sign up!! WTF?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I'm amazed at some of the great athletes in our box that haven't signed up yet.

    ReplyDelete