Monday, April 2, 2012

Tabata and a new PR!

Tabata “Bottom to Bottom” Squat
Run 1 mile

Clock starts for run on rising from last squat.

The Tabata Bottom to Bottom Squat is a Tabata Squat but each rep begins at the bottom and ends at the bottom. The turn around at the top is immediate – no pause. The ten-second rest for each interval is also held at the bottom of the squat as opposed to the top. Interestingly, this squat, in contrast to the “normal” Tabata squat, motivates full hip extension. Also, the ten second rests don’t seem as short with this protocol!

Tabata score = 8
Run time = 10:50


Last time we did this, I failed miserably on the tabata portion. This time, I made all 8 rounds without failing. My highest set was 10 squats, my lowest was 8, so that's my score. The run felt GOOD. This is amazing simply because a week ago my leg was cramped up and felt like I had actually torn something. I think it was just a major cramp and now that I've been stretching faithfully and foam rolling it, it's feeling a lot better. Granted my run time was ridiculously slow, it still felt good to run without that horrible cramp acting up. SO...a good day!

Strength today was Overhead Squat

warm up sets:
5 @ 65
3 @ 75
2 @ 85
2 @ 95
1 @ 105
1 @ 110
1 @ 120 PR!!!

Yeah, I set a new PR on something. I have missed Overhead Squats lately. We haven't done them in such a long time. Christina said this will be our new Monday lift for several weeks, so I'm totally looking forward to it!

1 comment:

  1. OH squats are just so hard..congrats on the PB!! Enjoy your trip to Jamaica, I am sure it will be awesome. It would be a thrill to run a beautiful beach!? Thanks for the comments!! I really hope I can break 30 min for the 5k this year.

    ReplyDelete