Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Clean & Jerk

Squat clean and jerk 30 reps for time. (Men 155 lbs, Women 105 lbs)

The barbell goes from ground to overhead, passing through a front squat in which the crease of the hip passes below the height of the kneecap. The finish position is with the arms, hips and knees fully extended, arms overhead, with at least a portion of the ear visible in front of the arm. Dropping the barbell is acceptable.

My time: 13:17 w/85 lbs

Last time, I did this as prescribed. Today I was having some form issues on the jerk,(it was also our strength component) so I went light on the WOD. Even at 85 lbs this still kicked my ass!

I absolutely love clean & jerks, particularly squat clean & jerk. Today, the squat cleans felt amazing, spot on, good form, bar landing squarely on my shoulders every time. But the jerk, well, I was having issues. I was rushing the dip, and not getting enough speed in the drive, and the jerk just wasn't feeling as clean and smooth as it should have during the strength component so I scaled down to 65 on the last few lifts and just practiced the dip and drive with better form. It helped somewhat in the workout.

Squat clean & jerk:
5 @ 65
3 @ 85
2 @ 90
2 @ 95
3 singles at 65

2 comments:

  1. you are my 'ideal' crossfit-lady. I aim to be able to do what you can do one day. This post made me really happy, because there is no way in hell I could do 30 squat clean and jerks at 85lbs. No way. Especially not in 13 minutes! HOWEVER, this week I did a 95lb clean and jerk. I nearly didn't make it and it was a deadly struggle to get the weight up in the jerk. But I feel like I'm getting closer! I really admire the things you can do, and I know it's not a great idea to compare yourself to others, but really you are my role model and I hope to get where you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG - you just made my day! My week, my month...heck maybe even my year. That anyone would aspire to be like me is a huge compliment. Thank you so much!!! Trust me, when you've been at it for a while, you will surpass anything I can do. I'm glad to know I'm a role model for you. I'm totally flattered.

    ReplyDelete