Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Tabata Bottom To Bottom (don't forget to breathe!)

Tabata “Bottom to Bottom” Squat
Run 1 mile

Clock starts for run on rising from last squat.

My mile time: 10:28
My tabata lowest number: 4


I've only done tabata bottom to bottom one other time and fortunately it was long ago enough that I forgot that miserable burning "OMG I'm gonna die right now" feeling about 8 seconds into the bottom of the rest period. Otherwise I probably would have slept in this morning.

The first work set was not a problem, nor the first rest. Second go around, however, was another story entirely. When I stood up from the 10 second rest, I was seeing stars. Not pretty stars, but those things you see right before you pass out. So, I sucked in some air and squeezed in a few squats. Then, when it was time for the next rest period ("torture period") I lasted about 4 seconds at the bottom and basically failed at the entire workout. I came right back up and tried to stretch out my hips and again, tunnel vision, stars, woozy...haha. I'm not good at this, apparently.

It occurred to me on the next set that I was HOLDING MY BREATH on the rest portion. Duh!! No wonder I was about to pass out. So, I remedied this little problem and managed to make it through the rest of the WOD without losing consciousness. However I did short some of the rest periods, just due to muscle failure.


I have never looked forward to running a mile more in my life!! I was slow on the first half, just from lack of oxygen to my legs during those rest periods. However, I pushed myself on the second half and running felt so awesome today! My time wasn't stellar by any means, but it feels good to feel good!! Not sure how else to say that.

Strength today was 1 squat snatch every minute for 10 minutes.
I stuck with 55 lbs throughout and had zero misses.


No comments:

Post a Comment