Monday, February 24, 2014

What's going on here?

From time to time on the CFJ website, I see people post their times and scores and then immediately degrade themselves.  Yes, I'm guilty too.  I'll post a time and say "I'm so slow".  Today I noticed a very strong, young, extremely fit young man posted his time and added to it "terribly out of shape".  No, he's really not out of shape at all, he's just working through an injury and not at the top of his game right now.  But I guarantee you, he's stronger, and in better shape than 95% of people his age.  Guarantee it.   And with all my criticizing of my times and my weight, I know I'm in fairly decent shape, and I'm certain I'm doing things the vast majority of women my age will not even attempt.

So what is going on here? We're really a pretty positive bunch of people, generally speaking of CrossFitters.  I think it's just that we tend to hold ourselves to a higher standard, both individually and as a peer group.  I think this is part of the competitive nature of CrossFit, and part of the phenomenon of why we all get so addicted to it and keep coming back day after day.  We want to be better and faster, and stronger, and when we don't perform what we perceive to be our best, we acknowledge it in a public forum.  By doing so, we not only challenge ourselves to do better, but our peers can see clearly that we know our shortcomings and they can hold us accountable, either directly or indirectly.

WOD

For time:

500 Meter row
then
12-9-6
Thrusters (Men 135#, Women 95#)
Chest to bar pull-ups
finish with
500 Meter row

Score at 10 min mark:  95m into the 2nd row

My final time:  11:57, scaled to 65#, kipping PLU

We had a 10 min time limit on this, but I wanted to finish so I hopped on another rower and finished out the last 405 meters.  Thrusters felt somewhat decent today, but they are never "fun".  Pull ups felt pretty decent too.  If Fran were 12-9-6, I could probably have a decent score on it one day.  Ha ha!


Back Squats
10 x 3 @ 145

No comments:

Post a Comment