Friday, December 3, 2010

TGIF!

In this workout you will have 4 five minute rounds with a 1 minute break between rounds. Each round consists of a 400 meter run at the start of each round. After you complete the 400 meter run you will have the remainder of the 5 minutes to complete 1 of the following 4 exercises for max reps in each round.

You choose the order of the exercises for each round.

Wall ball shots (Men 20 lb ball, Women 14 lb ball)
Rowing (Calories)
Burpees
Kettlebell swings (Men 55 lbs, Women 35 lbs)

My total reps: 113
Wallball 29
Buprpees 19
Rowing 24 (cal)
KBS 41

Run times: 2:03, 2:17, 2:20, 2:19


We did this in July with pullups in place of KBS, and I had 110 reps. Meh...not much improvement, but still a fun workout!

*****
I have a Primal recipe to share with you today.

Last weekend I was craving some Carne Guisada. What's that? Well, its sort of a Mexican beef stew. There are a million recipes for it, but the recipe I use is from The Spanish Dagger Ranch in Uvalde, Tx, where I used to go quail and pheasant hunting. Dottie, the resident cook, shared the recipe with me years ago and it's one of my favorite winter meals.

But this time I had a dilemma, as the recipe includes potatoes. So, in order to keep it a little more "Primal" I replaced them with rutabaga, and I actually ended up liking it better - they didn't get all mushy like potatoes do! If you're not trying to stay primal or paleo, feel free to add potatoes if you want.

3 lbs Chuck roast, cut into cubes for stew meat
2 tbsp oil (I use coconut oil)
4-8 cloves of garlic, minced (depending on your taste preference)
4 Tbsp ground cumin (again, depending on your taste...I usually add more!)
3 cans of Rotel (I use medium)
3 cans of water
3 beef bullion cubes
1 large rutabage, cut into bite size cubes

Heat oil in stew pan and brown stew meat, with minced garlic. When all meat is seared add spices, rotel, water, and bullion cubes. Reduce heat to low-medium and simmer for several hours. About 1.5 hours before you are ready to serve, add the rutabagas, return to a boil, then reduce to low-medium and simmer until rutabagas are tender. You may want to add more water, depending on how soupy you like your stew.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment