Thursday, February 17, 2011

Yay - Back Squats!

21-15 & 9 rep rounds for time of:

Back squats (Men 135 lbs, Women 95 lbs)
Ring dips

My time: 7:14, bar dips

Did all my back squats unbroken, though a little bit slowly. I was concentrating on having perfect form, tightening my core and not having any back pain. Felt good. I love back squats so much, and miss going heavy on them.

This morning's strength component was back squats.
Rep Scheme: 5-5-3-2-1-1-1
My loads: 85-105-155-175-175-95-95

Why did I go down on those last two? Well, because on the first single at 175, I got to the bottom of the squat and I couldn't get out of the squat, didn't have my safety's set high enough, and got in a position that hurt my back. I had to be bailed out by Brent & Breck. Embarassing, and maddening all at the same time. So, I dropped to the WOD weight for today and did the last two singles.

My errors on that 175 lb failure were numerous.

First of all, when I got under the bar to put it on my back and stand it up, I stepped sideways and the plates hit the rack, and I was bouncing all over the place with 175 lbs on my back, didn't tighten my core and felt a little twinge before I ever went into the squat.

I got myself positioned in the squat stance,and went into it without properly inhaling and completely tightening my core. So when I got to the bottom (and I went all the way down )I couldn't "power"out of it like I should have, but started gradually trying to push through my heels. Since my core wasn't tight, I just didn't have the power, and lost my good back angle and felt that old familiar pain, and I knew it was over. I was pretty mad at myself because I could have totally prevented this. But the important thing is, I backed off before I did any real damage.

Tomorrow's another day. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment